Selenomethione (Se-met) is one of the natural food forms of Selenium. As a form of
Selenium, it is important for normal thyroid gland function, reproduction, DNA production, and protecting the body from infection. It has been studied for other health benefits for the thyroid and heart, and more.
It is a selenoamino acid that is the selenium analogue of methionine. It has a role as a plant metabolite. When taken as a supplement selenomethionine is either converted directly or stored in the place of methionine in body proteins.
Selenomethionine metabolism is closely linked to protein turnover. It combines with
proteins in the body and form antioxidants called selenoproteins, help protect the cells in your body from damage by free radicals.
Selenomethionine has been studied for its role in thyroid disease, cancer, and heart disease prevention, as well as preventing cognitive decline.
In the body selenium levels are highest in the thyroid gland, having important functions in thyroid hormone production and metabolism.
Because of this, selenomethionine supplementation has been studied for its effects on
diseases of the thyroid.
A randomized controlled study of 192 people with mild subclinical hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis received either oral selenomethione treatment (control) or placebo for four months. At the end of the study, 31.3% of control participants restored euthyroidism, compared to 3.1% I the placebo group. This study showed that selenomethionine supplementation could potentially restore normal thyroid levels in people with autoimmune thyroiditis. Another study looked at how children and adolescents with autoimmune thyroiditis would respond to selenomethionine supplementation.
Seventy one participants were randomized to receive selenomthionine or placebo daily for 6 months.
At the end of the study, a statistically significantly higher reduction in antibodies against thyroglobulin (anti-Tg) was observed in the selenomethionine group compared to the placebo group. Showing that selenomethione supplementation appears to reduce anti-Tg levels in children and adolescents with autoimmune thyroiditis.
In addition, a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trials they looked at whether selenomethionine had a protrective effect against thyroid autoimmunity during and after pregnancy. Researchers randomly assigned 45 women with thyroiditis in pregnancy to receive either selenomethionine or placebo. They were evaluated after 10 weeks of gestation (T1), 36 gestation (T2), and 6 months after delivery (PP).
Research saw significant increase in selenium blood levels in selenomethionine grup and T2, and a significant reduction of autoantibodies after delivery in the selenomethionine group
Selenomethionine supplementation is beneficial for conditions of the thyroid in various subgroups of people, including adults, children, adolescents and pregnant women.
It is recognised that selenomethionine may have the potential for prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease. More studies are needed to determine whether selenium supplements are beneficial for preserving cognitive function in elderly people, but the ones that have been carried out show promising results I the prevention of this disease.
Selenomethionine supplements may be useful for colon cancer patients, according to the July /August 2012 edition of “cancer biology and therapy” journal . the journal tested the effects of Selenomethionine on four different colon cancer cell lines, and selenomethionine inhibited the growth of all four.
Selenomethionine shows promising effects for the prevention and treatment of colon
cancer. Selenium deficiency increases the risk of cancer in general so taking selenium could be a preventative measure in cancer in general.
L selenomethionine in the reduction of heavy metal toxicity:
Selenium in this form has been shown to reduce levels of Cadmium and mercury as
selenium binds and excretes these metals through liver detoxification.
Selenium has a synergistic effect with other antioxidants such as vitamin E which has shown as vital with toxicity in enabling the human body to defend against the damage of free radical damage and fight oxidative stress.
Free radicals are generated by the body through exposure to high amounts of toxins
including heavy metals. Selenomethionine in the reduction of heart disease and Diabetes:
Oxidative stress plays a pivotal in the development of diabetes complications both
cardiovascular and microvascular. This supplement decreases oxidative stress this in turn can decrease diabetes related neuropathy, retinopathy (a diabetes complication that is caused by damage to the blood vessels of the light sensitive tissue at the back of the eye) and cataracts. Selenium can reduce clotting of blood and oxidation of cholesterol Therefore, healthy intact of selenium can lower the risk of heart disease, and also strengthens the bodies response to infections and bolsters the level of white blood cells.
Scientific studies now show multiple mechanisms by which selenium preventa potentially cancerous cells from growing into a fully developed tumour:
- Regulation of lipoxygenase enzymes which produce inflammatory molecules that
stimulate cancer growth
- Reduction of oxidative stress that causes free radical damage.
- Protection of seleno-proteins, which recycle antioxidants
- Detoxification of the body from cancer-causing heavy metals.
- Induction of protective “phase 2 “liver enzymes that normalize many carcinogenic
- Inhibition of DNA alterations (genetic damage), which initiates cancerous changes in
- Inactivation of molecular transcription factors required by cancer cells to support
their growth and development.
- Shutting down essential cell replication cycle neede by cancer cells to produce their
- Induction of apoptosis, the programmed cell death, that is missing in cancerous cells
allowing them to continue to reproduce indefinitely or live forever.
- Enhance immune system activity to detect and destroy incipient cancer cells
- Down regulation of sex hormone receptors used by certain cancers to sustain their
These mechanisms act together to maximize cancer protection.
Selenium exerts health benefits in the following areas:
- Autoimmune problems
- Cardiovascular disease including atherosclerosis and strokes
- Arthritis including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis
- Neurological diseases including Alzheimer’s disease
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Thyroid problems- both underactive and overactive: selenium concentration is
higher in the thyroid gland than any other organ in the body. In other words, the
thyroid gland accumulated selenium. Like iodine, selenium has important functions
to the thyroid hormone manufacture. Selenium is required by the cells to convert
thyroid hormone into its active form. If you are low in selenium your thyroid function
will be sluggish and you will be fatigued and inclined to gain weight.
- Viral infections including HIV and Hepatitis can become more dangerous in people
who are selenium deficient.
Vital L selenomethionine capsule ingredients:
- Free from yeast
- Free from fillers
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly
- In 200 mcg easy to swallow gelatine free capsules
Ionic selenium formingredients:
- 300 mcg per serving size ( 1.25ml = to a 1 and 1/4 full dropper ) - 48 servings
- Purified water, magnesium, Non-GMO citric acid, potassium benzoate (for preservation).
- take 1 capsule daily for capsules
- Shake well; using the metered dropper, take 1.25 mL daily with juice or food to mask the concentrated mineral flavor.
Do not refrigerate. Keep out of reach of children.